Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Last Semester of Nursing School

Believe it or not, four years of nursing school is almost over!  I am starting my eighth and final semester.
Last Semester
I had a rough time last semester.  I was almost failing my research course and I didn't realize it until after the midterm because the first paper wasn't marked until after the midterm.  When I found out, I was shocked and horrified.  Apparently I didn't understand the requirements of the first paper and had done it wrong.
I should have learned from my mistake in Pathophysiology (where I got zero on a paper for using the wrong kind of article), but apparently old habits die hard.
Well, I worked VERY hard after that rude awakening.  I worried to no end and studied as hard as I could.  My teacher received regular visits from me so I could make sure I was doing the final paper properly, and I did all the practice tests that I could get my hands on.
My hard work eventually paid off and I finished the course with a tidy B-.  Somehow my obsessive studying passed over to the other course as well and I got an A+ in the other course.  That's my first A+ in the nursing program.  I was so delighted.
Getting Fat
The downside of obsessive studying is that I probably sat and studied for hours at a time without moving much.  I may or may not have also soothed my worried with delicious snacks.  I managed to gain five pounds.  Oops.  So much for exercising and being healthy.
So of course the New Year is busy with trying to remedy a new problem, and I have been watching my Netflix shows while pedaling away on a stationary bike  :)  It is surprisingly satisfying to finish both exercising and catching up on shows at the same time.  I also enjoy writing the time I spent on exercising each day on the calendar.
The Preceptorship
So the final semester has finally begun.  My classmates and I have been assigned to different hospital wards and we each have a preceptor nurse.  We will be working with these nurses based on their normal nurse schedules and gradually learn to take on their full workload.  The goal is to practice being a real nurse with a real nurse schedule.
I did a shorter version of a preceptorship a few semesters back on an orthopedic (bone) ward.  This time I will be on a Medicine ward.
Other than working a normal nurse's schedule, we are going to be studying for the Registered Nurse licensing exam in June.
Positive Start
I am pretty excited about this semester.  My instructor seems pretty nice and I am looking forward to meeting my preceptor.  I will be working in a hospital that I have never worked in before, so I'm excited about that too.

I hope you will all have a lovely weekend.

Take care!
My Nursing School Diary

No comments: